The NFL introduced the 16-recreation period to a near at the conclusion of March when the owners voted to undertake a 17-sport agenda starting off with the 2021 year.
Playing 16 online games served the NFL very well from 1978 via 2020, but the lure of further tv profits proved too a great deal to resist for the league’s proprietors, so more football for all people carried the working day.
The shift to develop the schedule for the to start with time in 43 a long time led Kendall Baker from Axios to break down how every single of the league’s 32 groups did, centered on winning proportion, whilst taking part in 16 games.
Not remarkably, given their struggles from 1999 right until previous year, the Cleveland Browns did not present a powerful demonstrating, ending at No. 31 on the list with a history of 251-379-2 for a winning percentage of .399 – just edging out the Detroit Lions, who went 268-410-2 for a winning percentage of .396.
As for the other groups in the AFC North Division, the Pittsburgh Steelers came out at No. 1 total with a winning proportion of .609 (413-265-2), the Baltimore Ravens are at No. 5 with a winning proportion of .564 (225-174-1), and even the lowly Cincinnati Bengals bested the Browns, coming in at No. 27 with a winning share of .429 (290-386-4).
The 16-activity period was not all poor news for the Browns, of class, as there had been shiny spots more than the a long time, together with:
- A a few-yr extend beginning in 1978 in which the Browns challenged for the playoffs, culminating in a division title in 1980. All through these three yrs, the Browns posted a winning share of .583.
- A 5-calendar year extend from 1985 to 1989 where the Browns designed the playoffs just about every time and had three appearances in the AFC Championship Sport. Through that run, the Browns posted a tidy .627 winning share.
- The shocking playoff run in 2002 that finished with a loss in the Wild Card round.
- The even-additional stunning 10-6 history in 2007 that, very well, ended up likely nowhere.
- The team’s return to prominence in 2020 that observed the Browns clinch their to start with playoff visual appearance due to the fact 2002 and win their to start with street playoff match due to the fact 1969. The point that it came against the Steelers made it that a lot sweeter.
The Browns aided to usher out the 16-recreation period with a return to the playoffs and, alongside the way, buried a few ghosts that have haunted the franchise since its return to the NFL in 1999.
Now that the league is prepared to embark on a 17-recreation agenda, the Browns have an opportunity to hit the reset button and assert their put at the prime of any future rankings of the winningest groups all through this new era of the NFL.