The names will make you laugh, cry, or potentially just shake your head.
CLEVELAND — It is that time of yr, Browns fans. The NFL draft is on us, and this time it will be ideal in our possess yard.
In the latest memory, most of us have been used to the Browns choosing someplace in close proximity to the best 10 (or top rated five?) of the initial spherical, hoping they decide on that distinctive participant that can switch the franchise all around. Now, that working day has arrived, and soon after a magical 2020 time Cleveland finds itself waiting around until eventually No. 26 to be on the clock. It is a excellent point this year’s draft is ideal in the shadow of FirstEnergy Stadium, or most of us could appear at the party as uninteresting…wonderfully, blissfully tedious.
But I digress. As we know, booms and busts can be observed in the course of the draft. The Browns know that all also perfectly, acquiring strike some outstanding house runs to go with some devastating whiffs around the years. That’s why we are heading to take a vacation down memory lane, asking you to enable us name the team’s three most effective and 3 worst 1st-round picks given that they to start with entered the NFL way again in 1950.
There are lots of means to go about this. You can merely select the greatest or worst gamers the Browns have taken in the initially spherical, or you can glance at instances and see who else might’ve been offered, which can take the front office’s choice earning into account. Me, I have a tendency to type of merge the requirements, so for reference, right here are my choices:
- Jim Brown – No. 6 all round, 1956: By some means 5 gamers went ahead of him, even though in fairness two ended up remaining fellow Corridor of Famers.
- Joe Thomas – No. 3 overall, 2007: A rare slam-dunk in a dim era for drafting. Sad to say, they butchered just about each other pick.
- Paul Warfield – No. 11 all round, 1964: He was simply a supporting player in Woody Hayes’ run-content Ohio Condition offense. He went on to turn out to be the greatest extensive receiver in Browns heritage.
Honorable mentions: Ozzie Newsome, Hanford Dixon, Baker Mayfield
- Justin Gilbert – No. 8 over-all, 2014: Of the gamers chosen Nos. 5-17 in this draft, only just one by no means produced a Professional Bowl. Guess who it was? (Thanks, Ray Farmer).
- Mike Phipps – No. 3 general, 1970: Don’t forget Paul Warfield? The Browns traded him for a probability to decide on a man who at the time threw five interceptions in a playoff activity.
- “Johnny Football” – No. 22 all round, 2014: Do I need to say something additional? (Yet again, many thanks, Ray Farmer).
(Dis)honorable mentions: Bobby Garrett, Courtney Brown, Corey Coleman
On Fb and Twitter, give us your picks for the finest and worst to start with-spherical options in Browns record. Friday morning on “GO!,” our 3Information workforce will go in excess of your leading options and even give some views of their own.
We seem forward to hearing from you! Also, remember to, test not to enable some of the terrible picks make you cry…